Gluten-Free Spicy Blueberry Trail Mix
Adding fresh blueberries to this homemade trail mix makes it just the right combination of flavors and textures not to mention boosting its nutritional stats. Make the trail mix base ahead of time then add berries when serving.
- 1 cup raw whole almonds
- 1/2 cup shelled walnuts
- 1/4 cup raw pistachios
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 1/2 teaspoons honey
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 cup your favorite cereal (suggest Barbara's Multigrain Puffins Cereal®, Chex®, Kelloggs Cracklin Oat Bran, or Cheerios®)
- 1 package (6 ounces or 1 1/4 cups) Driscoll's Blueberries
- Preheat oven to 300°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a large bowl, combine almonds, walnuts, and pistachios. In a small saucepan, combine honey, oil, chipotle powder, cayenne, and cinnamon. Warm mixture over low heat, stirring well until warmed through. Pour honey mixture over nuts and stir with a rubber spatula until coated. Sprinkle salt over nuts and toss to combine.
Spread mixture in a single layer on prepared baking sheet. Bake until golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool completely before serving.
Transfer baked nut mixture to a large bowl. Add cereal and toss to combine. To serve, combine 1/4 cup nut mixture with 1/4 cup fresh blueberries.
Store nut mixture in an airtight container for up to 1 week.